Saturday, June 3, 2017

About Purses

A fun little quiz turned up on Facebook, titled "What Does Your Purse Say about You?"

One of the questions was, 'Have you ever borrowed a purse?' Of course not.  The next question was, 'Have you ever loaned a purse to a friend?'



Yes I have. She was a former neighbor who had to make an appearance in court. Our mutual friend next door asked for her if I would lend a proper handbag for going to court. I loaned her a bone color plain leather clutch, not too big, not too small. I still think of her every time I see it in the closet.



My favorite purse is vintage Etienne Aigner, classic tan leather with a strap. Do you remember when Etienne Aigner stopped making leather shoes and bags? It was a while ago that I bought this handbag.  It will probably outlast me.

I learned from Kelly at Alterations Needed about using neutrals as a pop of color. This camel color purse pops with all those greys and blacks I enjoy wearing during the winter.




My second fav is crocheted, a summer purse. It is in semi-retirement while I look for a replacement that suits as well, maybe one by The Sak.






I denied that I'd ever bought a knock-off. I forgot about the cheap Chanel-style purse with the chain strap. Even with tassels back in style, I still dislike it probably because it's faux leather. Plastic.

You can see a Real Chanel Purse here and one for half the price of that one: Classic Tassel Bag by YSL. Of course they have no idea I linked to these and I get nothing for doing so.


According to the quiz, my purses say I'm all bid'ness, pretty much my feeling about handbags. They are a necessity for carrying essentials, some ID and a bit of cash.


Sometimes you don't need a purse, you need a tote. This is my favorite tote, made of sturdy canvas that stands alone and has pockets around the sides and ends from narrowest pouches that would hold only a pen to double pockets on the end. It's actually a Rigger's Bag from an import store that features tools of all kinds.The other items are my striped sun hat from my neighbor and the butterfly umbrella that was a gift from my daughter-in-law. With all these, I'd be prepared for anything.

One thing leads to another. I need to show more tote bags, among which a fav is a tote bag made from a pair of discarded jeans. Double seams along the leg form handles, the rest of the legs make the body of the tote and back pockets are reused on the outside. I even picked off the little watch pocket from one pair to sew on. Next time.

1 comment:

  1. I used to be the same way, Jean!! A purse was just to carry my stuff and why would I want to change it daily?
    But I have found a new love for the fun purses...maybe because I don't need anymore clothes in my closet?? LOL!!
    I can't wait to see the denim tote---that's such a fabulous idea!
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Any Spam will be fried.